Wednesday 19 January 2011

You've Been Bit

...by a rabid Literature Major. Symptoms include seeing sexual metaphors everywhere, regular metaphors almost everywhere, and generally over-thinking everything you see.

Ok...so I assume you'd like to know what this blog is about.

As I enter my final year of Liberal Arts College ™ and become ever closer to obtaining my English Literature and Psychology degrees, I realize how much my perspective has been totally, completely, and irreversibly skewed. Forever.

First of all, when you go to a Liberal Arts College ™ you quickly begin to let every field of study bleed into every other field of study. And once that leak has been established, the floodgates open. Suddenly, everywhere you look you see the things you've been learning about. I find that this makes it impossible to interact normally with others.

SCENE - movie theatre, patrons come streaming out chattering happily, finishing off too-large sodas and trailing popcorn in their wake

Friend - "Wow, that was a really good movie!"
Me - "Totally, didn't you just love that dreary ending?"
Friend - "Dreary ending?"
Me - "Yeah! It's refreshing to see a non-hollywood ending. Happily ever after is nice, but having the character die in the end…You're looking at me funny."
Friend - "He didn't die in the end. What are you talking about?"
Me - "You didn't get the way ____ stood as a figurative representation of death?"
Friend - "…"
Me - "Never mind."

END SCENE

SCENE - a car barreling down the highway. Top 40 radio is on.

*California Girls they're unbelievable! Daisy dukes, bikinis on top!*
Me - Ugh. Can't we listen to something else?
Friend - Hush. I like this song.
Me - It's gonna be stuck in my head all day. And I hate this line. (sings along) Sun-drenched skin so hot we'll melt your popsicle!
Friend - Why? What's wrong with that line?
Me - Doesn't it sound like she's saying it will cause his erection to flag?
Friend - ...
Me - Never mind.

END SCENE

And so on and so forth.

If you often hear a "…" in response to your insights…or if you are the one delivering the aforementioned elipses…this may be the blog for you. I intend to share my viewpoint - because isn't that the point of this generation? Blog your opinions, hoping that you're either insightful or entertaining enough that people will flock to see what you have to say next? Me. Me. Me. Each week, I hope to offer you an in-depth, literary analysis. However, I'm not going to be analyzing Gothic poetry or "The Scarlet Letter" or even the works of the Bard. I'm going to be analyzing pop culture. Film, music, popular fiction…even every day interactions with people. Some days I will simply rant. Others, I may offer an in-depth review of a recent film or show. Want to know how the liberal arts mind works? In a world that places an increasing emphasis on college education you are (unfortunately) going to need to. Welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment