Thursday 20 January 2011

RU/18?

There is something that modern-day consumers of the entertainment industry COMPLETELY overlook 99% of the time - historical context.

We're not completely oblivious, our barely-remembered history classes let us realize when films are being absurdly anachronistic (Think "Knight's Tale".) or are sacrificing realism for sexiness. (Think almost all the costuming in period pieces)

However, you'd be surprised by some of the implications of a story taking place in a different country and/or different time period. Often, unless you really, really, REALLY think hard about it, the historical details will elude you. Usually, they're unimportant to the story as a whole. Why should you care then? BECAUSE THE FACTS, IF YOU REALIZE THEM, WILL BLOW YOUR MIND.

There is no better example of this than the age of characters. How often do we actually know the exact age of characters in any given story? It's very rare that it comes up if it's not a relevant plot point. However, even if it's not relevant to the plot, it can be relevant to how you view the message of the story.

In the literary world, my favorite example is Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet". It is a perfect example because it is possibly the most well-known and the most poorly-interpreted story of all time.

Here's why: It's not a love story. Not really. Or it is, but the romance isn't the point. It's right there in the first lines.

"Two households, both alike in dignity, 
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene, 
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, 
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean."

If the play were a research paper, this would be the thesis. The family feud is clearly the focus. As for the romance…well…

There are two major problems I have with the "romance" in Romeo and Juliet. First, Shakespeare makes it a point to show you that Romeo is fickle. At the beginning of the play, he's talking about how he's completely in love...with a girl named Rosalyn. He has a beautiful speech about how amazing she is, and then completely forgets about her when he meets Juliet. Second, given the time period...Juliet is most likely around 13 years old.

Do you know any 13 year olds? Talked to any Middle Schoolers lately? What would you say if they told you they had fallen in love and they couldn't live without their boyfriend/girlfriend?

Yeah, I'd laugh too.

The point is that it changes the meaning of the story. Drastically.

Ok, enough Shakespeare.

Disney movies are a particular love of mine. I love children's movies. They're bright and happy, full of color and music. Plus, I become amused at how grim tales become happily-ever-after Disney moments. Anyone who's read a real fairy tale has to find amusement in seeing how Disney skims past the less kid-friendly parts.

Historical context can tell us that Jasmine is likely around 13. She's pre-pubescent certainly, given her outfit. Yet she certainly has way more curves than a girl that age should. Disney makes their characters look older to ease the minds of the viewing audience.

Sure, this could just be a case of Disney not really caring for accuracy. One movie, however, makes me think otherwise. One movie has a character whose age is actually stated, although the implications are buried carefully, and is shown to look much older than he should.

The Beast, of "Beauty and the Beast", is 20 years old during the film. We know this. His enchanted rose is supposed to die on his 21st birthday, which is apparently at the end of the film. However, there is one more solid mention of time in the film.

One day, I was looking up the lyrics to "Be Our Guest" when I noticed a line I'd never paid attention to before. Lumiere is talking about how miserable they've been while under the curse and about how bored and how lonely they had been before she arrived.

During his dramatic little monologue, he tells Belle how long they'd been under the curse. "Ten years we have been rusting!" he claims.

Ten years. Ten years?! That would make the Beast ten or eleven when that enchantress cursed him. Ten! EVERYONE is selfish at ten years old. Kinda harsh. I thought maybe he wasn't aging or something, but the rose is set to die on his 21st birthday.

So he was ten. That's for certain. The portrait in his wing and the stained glass prologue don't show a ten year old though. They show him as he appears at the age of 21, when he transforms back from the Beast. Obviously, they couldn't show a ten year old being cursed...so they show a young man being cursed and hope nobody notices.

And be honest, did you?

14 comments:

  1. I'm not as happy with this post...I cut it down a lot because I didn't want it to be too long...let me know if anything is confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I really, really liked this post. I am crazy about "close reading" of anything, and close reading of Disney movies in the same post as an analysis of Shakespeare is super fun. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to say thank you Miss Brie because I was in fact JUST thinking about the Beauty and the Beast age problem! No joke! My boyfriend and I were watching it and I caught those lines and tried to explain the problem with it and he just didn't get it! So, thank you for making me feel a little less crazy, it really is a major flaw in Disney movies...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You bring joy to me Haily. Really you do. Glad to make you feel less crazy. A friend of mine commented on FB that Ariel of Little Mermaid was 16 at the beginning of the film, got married four days or so later, and had a child by the sequel, which she had a mere year later. Disney really has problems...I may do the Disney's Broken Families rant tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do it. Seriously, I can't think of a SINGLE Disney movie where both biological parents lived and/or stayed together through out the entire thing. Not a one! I could be wrong of course, but I'm pretty sure I'm not...and that's sad...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Historical context can tell us that Jasmine is likely around 13."

    Could you explain what evidence there is for this? Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! My first legitimate challenge. You, samilovesme1, are my new favorite!

    To be honest, I write these blogs with minimal research in order to get them out quickly...mostly planning on providing evidence when challenged. As a result, any statements are based on what I know off the top of my head. The following comes from me confirming my thoughts through Wikipedia...which I am aware is not the most legitimate source. If you would like a more researched response I would be happy to provide it, but I figured I'd start with a basic response in case that was all you required.

    For Jasmine, I was mostly working off my basic understanding of clothing customs. The "1001 Nights" that Disney's Aladdin is (very loosely) based on are 10th century Persian tales. In "Aladdin", Jasmine's father refers to Allah several times, implying that they are in a Muslim culture. Hijab, the practice of dressing modestly, is practiced by Muslims and is thought to have been assimilated from Persian culture. Minor female characters throughout the film are shown to be veiled in the manner of hijab, so it seems clear that this applies to the setting in Aladdin.

    Hijab is supposed to be obeyed at all times, especially by upper class women, with the only exception being in the home when surrounded by only females or close-relation males. Jasmine is not dressed in this manner when seeing the suitor or Aladdin, or when speaking to the people from the balcony, and is therefore not practicing Hijab. Logically, this means that she is too young, as young girls are not required to practice it. Traditionally, girls begin the practice when they hit puberty. 13 was honestly just an age that I arbitrarily picked as being on the high-end of a girl hitting puberty.

    I hope that was sufficient. Let me know if you'd like more legitimate sources than my wacky logic backed up by a quick Wikipedia search on veils.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the info. Now, the question is, does Disney realize that it has 13-ish year old girls looking like 20 year old super models? :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly my question! I honestly think it's just so we don't look closer and see how depraved they are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I think they mostly mean well (emphasis on mostly). I look at all of the Disney princesses as potential-ish remodels for younger girls, because that is how I saw them when I was a child. It is only when we get older that we have to "grow up" and "face the music" what the type of media that we are/were exposed to. As children we don't have the "I am not going to believe everything you tell me" filter which we have now. I think it is the responsibility of "this" generation to point these things out... and rarely do we, because either 1) laziness, 2) we have better things to do or 3) once we realize these things our hearts are crushed. But what is more important: analyzing Disney or college projects? :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I don't think they mean any harm really. I just think they want to make the story more accessible, so making the characters seem older just works. The thing about Disney movies (and other children's movies in recent years) is that they are really made to be enjoyed by the adults watching as well. There's some really funny adult humor to them if you watch closely enough. (I mean humor that adults get, not necessarily mature, adult content stuff) One joke that comes to mind is in "Hercules" when Pain and Panic, in the guise of kids trapped under a boulder, yell "Somebody call IXII!" That's funny.

    As for your last question...

    "But what is more important: analyzing Disney or college projects?"

    Is that supposed to be a trick question?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha that was one of those sarcastic, "analyzing Disney movies is so much more fun compared to college projects" which I was supposed to be doing while writing that comment. :P

    And I completely agree, look at the Shrek movies (although, I am not sure if that is Disney, Pixar, both, or some fourth option) Mostly adult humour but little kids love those movies too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shrek is Dreamworks, like "Antz" and "How to Train Your Dragon".

    ReplyDelete