Monday 28 March 2011

Browncoat Love

Before I launch into the post I have a few quick notes.

First, I am very sorry for the intermittent posting. As stated before, I have less computer access than I am accustomed to. I will do my best to post at least two or three times a week.

Second, I have decided that, as this is a literature blog, I should start posting a bit about what I'm reading currently. This is also because it is my literature blog, and therefore it should center around me anyway.

So! Here we go.

Rabid Lit Major:
Mood - sleepy but cheerful

Current book - "The Fry Chronicles - an autobiography" by Stephen Fry

Book excerpt -
"If a thing can be said in ten words, I may be relied upon to take a hundred to say it. I ought to apologize for that. I ought to go back and ruthlessly prune, pare and extirpate excess growth, but I will not. I like words - strike that, I love words - and while I am fond of the condensed and economical use of them in poetry, song lyrics, in Twitter, in good journalism and smart advertising, I love the luxuriant profusion and mad scatter of them too. After all, as you will already have noticed, I am the kind of person who writes things like 'I shall append a superscribed obelus thus'. If my manner of writing is a self-indulgence that has you grinding your teeth then I am sorry, but I am too old a dog to be taught to bark new tunes."

Additional note - I don't care if that excerpt was ridiculously long...I love words too.

Additional additional note - Thanks to my wonderful boyfriend for buying me this book. <3 Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. Those of you who are facebook friends with me have likely already realized that I am a huge browncoat. Browncoat - n. - 1. Slang term for the rebel army in the short-lived television show Firefly, in reference to the brown coats worn by members of the army. 2. A person who is a fan/obsessive of said short-lived science-fiction show.


(Hint: I fall in the realm of the second definition.)

If you are already a browncoat, you can skip this part. If you're confused…here's an explanation.

Joss Whedon's space-western epic aired in 2002 on Fox. It lasted one season before it was cancelled due, according to Fox, to low ratings. Fans contend that had the episodes been aired in a regular time slot, and in order, the ratings would have been much higher. Regardless of whether this is true, when the show came out on DVD it sparked a huge fan following. Enough interest was generated that a feature film sequel, Serenity, was successfully pitched, produced and hit theaters. However, rather than satisfy fans, the sequel merely sparked hope that the show could be resuscitated…and nine years later the hope remains strong.

The reason my obsession has been particularly visible lately is part of a giant awareness-raising campaign sparked by the show's lead actor - Nathan Fillion. In an interview, the actor made an offhand comment about wishing he could just buy the rights and start the show up again. The fans immediately rallied behind the idea, pledging money and creating press-garnering stunts.

Now…I suspect that Fillion was not 100% serious. (Although, having been a geek icon so long he really ought to know better.) It does not change the fact that this simple statement had…impressive results.

At time of writing, the group helpnathanbuyfirefly.com has ceased collecting pledges from hopeful fans due to a request by Fillion. However, its supporting facebook group still holds an astounding 117,000+ members (including myself), people all over the world have changed their facebook profile pictures to firefly characters for the month (including myself), and many plan to end this month by wearing a brown coat to show their loyalty (including myself).

By the way, if you are interested, the group is now collecting donations for various charities supported by Fillion. The pledges were discontinued because Fillion didn't want to create a ruckus without promise of results. However, the fundraising continues in hopes that we can raise awareness of the show and support some good causes along the way. You can reach their facebook page here:

Help Nathan Buy Firefly

So why the hubbub? What's so impressive about this specific show that the followers are…dare I say…rabid?

Who better than the Rabid Lit Major to analyze the show's literary merits to solve the mystery of Firefly's appeal?

(That was rhetorical. Please keep your answers to yourself.)

All this week, I will be analyzing the show, explaining what makes it so great, and hopefully I'll win a few converts to the Browncoat ranks. Will it help Nathan to buy Firefly? Likely not. But if I can introduce more people to one of the best written shows of all time, drum up a little bit of press, and talk about a subject dear to my heart…then I'll be happy.

So what literary areas does the show excel in?

1. Realistic fiction in a fictional reality
2. A masterful grasp of foreshadowing
3. Avoidance of cliches
4. Symbolism

It also has a wickedly excellent, and largely attractive, cast.



See?

2 comments:

  1. Okay, My MultiMediaMaven. I have put Firefly on my Instsnt Play Queue. It will be my reward if I get my cleaning and cooking (for Book Club Dinner on Wed at Chez Singer) done today. Hard when I would rather read than scour toilets. Ugh.

    Grandma Cinderella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cinderelly, Cinderelly, night and day it's "Cinderelly"! Make the fire! Fix the breakfast! Wash the dishes! Do the moppin'!

    I'm so excited that you're going to watch Firefly! I really hope you like it. Mom hates science-fiction typically and she really enjoyed it...

    Good luck with the cleaning and I hope your book club goes swimmingly.

    ReplyDelete