Monday 31 January 2011

Radio Week - Oxford Comma

Good afternoon! You're listening to Rabid Radio. I'm L.M. Rabid and I'm delving deeply into the devious ditties you deigned to delegate to my dubious dealings. We're taking your requests and putting them through my tests. I'm taking my absurdly expensive college education in literary analysis to take apart the songs you've sacrificed at my altar. What better use could there be? Our first request comes from the Lovely Lora, who would love to hear some Vampire Weekend. Now I either live to serve Lora or I live to serve, Lora. Either way you're going to be treated to analysis of a song about the non-importance of commas.

First let's take a look at the music video and get as much information as we can.



That done, let's get started.

Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?
Oxford commas are an obscure grammar rule also known as "serial commas". They are an optional comma right before the "and" in a list...mostly useful to clarify when a list is over if it uses groups. For example, it helps clarify the meaning in the sentence. "There are many famous pairs in literature such as Romeo and Juliet, Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, Beezus and Ramona, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. In this, the comma before the final group help clarify when the and is a sign of the list ending and when the and is just tying together the groups.

The salient point, in regards to the song, is that it is a fiddly rule of the English language that most don't bother with. It is usually only used by the most proper of grammaticians. In fact, it is called an "Oxford Comma" because it is primarily used by Oxford Press publications, which is British-based.

I've seen those English dramas too
They're cruel


Once more we have a reference to English, although the implication is "British English" rather than the language "English". Vampire Weekend is an American band, so the distinction could be indicative of something.

So if there's any other way
To spell the word
It's fine with me, with me


The song has already referenced a grammar rule used primarily by the Oxford press and made a reference to British English. This leads me to believe that these lines are a reference to how words are spelt differently between American English and British English...such as "favorite" and "favourite". Both are technically correct, but the word has a different spelling depending on where you are.

So why rant about how unimportant the distinctions between British and American English are? The next verse reveals the issue.

Why would you speak to me that way
Especially when I always said that I
Haven't got the words for you


Now, I'm going to introduce you to another RULE OF LITERATURE. The first one came from inimitable Dr. Walters, who taught my Creative Writing Fiction class. This second one is a favorite of the astounding Dr. Morrison...who appropriately taught the class that covered Poetry Analysis, as well as several others.

Second Rule of Literature
When analyzing a text, be careful not to confuse the speaker with the author.

To break it down for you non-lit majors: The "speaker" in a work is the character whose point of view you're seeing. It is important not to assume that the views expressed by the speaker are the same as the views of the author. Take Jonathan Swift's "Modest Proposal" in which the speaker presents a case that it would be practical for the poor to sell their surplus children to the rich to eat. You should not come away from that story thinking "Jonathan Swift was pro-cannabalism". It's an extreme example but it gets the point across.

I present this rule to you for a reason. I am going to make some assumptions about the "character" speaking these lines based on the band. You should not do this as a rule, but it does help to take the author's experience into account when analyzing a work. You just have to remain aware that it might not be literal. Not every song about breakups is about a specific breakup that the writer experienced, as with Poison's "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" or 90% of Taylor Swift's songs.

I am therefore going to assume, given that the first verse designates British-English as a different dialect to the speaker's own, and because Vampire Weekend is an American band, that the speaker is American. Given the context I'll draw the conclusion that the song is told from the point of view of an American boy (again, taking my assumption from the band members) speaking to a British person. I feel that I can make these assumptions about the speaker because the music video does feature the lead singer of Vampire Weekend delivering the lines.

So, we have an American male speaker using confrontational language when speaking to a British character about the way the British characters talks to him.

All your diction dripping with disdain
Through the pain
I always tell the truth


The accusation being made by the speaker seems to be that the British person talks down to him. There is an implication that whatever was said, it was hurtful towards the speaker. The line "I always tell the truth" holds the subtext that the British "you" does not. This is confirmed later when the speaker asks "Why would you lie about anything at all?"

(If this seems random so far, don't worry. At the end, I'm going to put all of these pieces together in a nice, neat conclusion.)

Who gives a fuck about an Oxford climber?
I climbed to Dharamsala too
I did


Again, we see a repeat of "Oxford" as an adjective...this time modifying "climber" instead of "comma". Unlike "Oxford comma", an "Oxford climber" doesn't refer to any definable phrase. We must therefore assume that Oxford modifies "climber" in the same way that it modified "comma". Given the conclusions that we already have drawn about Oxford commas and the British language in regards to the speaker, we can draw the conclusion that an Oxford climber is a sort of elite climber. The British person puts a lot of stock in the "proper" British way of doing things and is derisive of the speaker's American ways. (We see this in the phrase "All your diction dripping with derision")

However, the speaker asserts that his abilities are the same and just as valid. He is as capable of climbing the Dharamsala as an Oxford climber would be in the same way that his way of speaking is just as correct as the British way.

I met the highest lama
His accent sounded fine
To me, to me


Dharamsala is a city in India located in a valley. Notably, it is where the current Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, lives. Like America and England, much of India is English-speaking due to having once been a part of the English Empire. This is the speaker once again asserting that you don't need to speak proper "Oxford English" in order to be correct. The Dalai Lama is a highly respected figure. Presumably, his English would be an Indian dialect of the language and not "proper" by the British "you"'s terms. The speaker is making the point that the Brit. has unreasonable standards.

Now I'm going to give you the rest of the lyrics at once before breaking it down into its salient points...partially because it's kind of repetitive and partially because I'm running out of time.

Check your handbook
It's no trick
Take the chapstick
Put it on your lips
Crack a smile
Adjust my tie
Know your boyfriend, unlike other guys

Why would you lie about how much coal you have?
Why would you lie about something dumb like that?
Why would you lie about anything at all?
First the window, then it's to the wall
Lil' Jon, he always tells the truth

Check your passport
It's no trick
Take the chapstick
Put it on your lips
Crack a smile
Adjust my tie
Know your butler, unlike other guys
Why would you lie about how much coal you have?
Why would you lie about something dumb like that?
Why would you lie about anything at all?
First the window, then it's through the wall
Why would you tape my conversations?
Show your paintings
At the United Nations
Lil' Jon, he always tells the truth


There are several references and symbols in here. First, I'll handle the vaguely absurd reference to Lil Jon. I'll give you a link to the song its referring to, but honestly you don't need to know much more than this: Lil Jon is known for very vulgar lyrics put to fun dance music. The reference puts together the accusations that the Brit. is lying with the rambling about the "properness" of his or her speech. Put together, the speaker's assertion is that "you" may look down on the speaker for his less-than-perfect English, but even the most vulgar of English-speakers is capable of the truth while "you" are a liar.

"Get Low" lyrics - NSFW...or Grandmothers who read my blog.

The lines about the chapstick as well as the line "Why would you lie about how much coal you have?" are both evocative of coldness. The implication is that the British "you" is a cold person, who presented themselves as warmer to the speaker. The request that they put on chapstick and "crack a smile" seems to be a plea for the person to stop being so "cold". Taking into account the line "Know your boyfriend, unlike other guys", the implication seems to be that whoever "you" is, the speaker is their boyfriend. Since the line changes to "butler" upon repetition, it seems that until this point he or she has treated the speaker as inferior...which seems to fit with the derision assigned to him or her already in the song. "Unlike other guys" I believe is referring to the speaker...in other words "Your boyfriend is unlike other guys"...which is another reference to the couple being multi-cultural....British and American.

Finally, I'll add the lines about the United Nations and taping of conversations to create a full picture of the analysis.

The speaker is an American dating a British person. The British person has treated the American coldly, making fun of him in front of others (That's the United Nations bit...implying that the American has been "painted" by the British person in a cruel way and put on display in front of the world). Throughout their relationship, the British person has been derisive of the American as well as deceitful. The American speaker is retaliating by pointing out that all the "proper" speech in the world can't cover up a lie and no amount of dressing things up (adjusting ties) will hide the flaws of something.

There you are. Sorry if it's a little rushed and incoherent...but I have to go to work now.

That's all for today. More music tomorrow. I'm L.M. Rabid...stay tuned to Rabid Radio!

5 comments:

  1. You somehow made that song make sense. Well done! Though, it is kind of a random thing to write a song about. Oddly specific....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Beyond impressive, Brie! Somehow this song reminds me of Prof Higgins and Eliza Doolittle where she not only has to learn _how_ to speak but _what_ to say and then she is no longer suited for her class in life. There has to be a balance between hiding behind language formalities and using them as a weapon and abandoning all pretense of decent language and thereby utterly demeaning the object of speech. BTW, in my role as brief "editor," I strictly enforced the Oxford comma rule!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so I got a Vampire Weekend CD and gave it a go. I did this knowing full well that I have a hard time getting away from my preconceived notions. The first time listening to Oxford Comma I couldn't really get 'into it'. It seemed jumbled and pointless. About the third time around I read your blog post. Lengthy as it may be, you really brought the song together and now I will likely keep the album. As a whole their music seems to be short, simple, and tells a story. Not to mention their, I assume, hit Holiday is stupidly addictive. Btw, whenever I read 'Rabid' my mind processes it as 'Rabbit'. Good post, Major Rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG the speaker of Oxford Comma is my boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lora - I am trying to make it fit into a story...it's probably less specific than I'm making it. But yeah...point taken.

    Grandma - I'm going to be humming "My Fair Lady" songs all day now you realize?

    Dustin - Um...wow. Cool. Glad I validated your purchase. Also...Major Rabbit is an awesome name that I will happily respond to.

    Steph - *facepalm*

    ReplyDelete